The ICL (Implantable Contact Lens) is a state-of-the-art refractive error solution that is ideal for anyone who has the need or desire for removal of power with high quality of vision correction. ICL or Implantable Contact Lens, as the name suggests, is a kind of lens which is implanted into the eye and does not require frequent removal like a normal contact lens. This phakic intraocular lens has numerous advantages including its correction of the widest range of myopia (nearsightedness), hyperopia (farsightedness) and astigmatism (cylindrical power).
- ICL can correct a wide range of vision errors by permanently inserting a Contact lens in front of the natural lens of the eye.
- ICL is a kind of soft contact lens which is inserted into the eye through a very small incision
- Just like LASIK or Wavefront Lasik it takes only 5-10 minutes for the procedure.
- The lens is customized according to each eye’s shape and size.
- Widest power correction range from +10D to -20D with cylinder upto 6D
- Made from a material called “Collamer” which is bio compatible (safe to stay in the eye for very long time)
- This new technique is similar to cataract surgery, but the natural lens remains in place so the eye’s natural focusing ability is preserved.
- An implantable contact lens is beneficial because it becomes a permanent fixture of the eye, avoiding time consuming maintenance.
- It does not get lost, or have to be replaced like glasses and contact lenses.
- ICL procedures are being used on highly nearsighted and farsighted patients who may not be candidates for the more common laser procedures such as LASIK, LASEK, and PRK. Unlike laser vision correction procedures that permanently change your vision, it is possible to later remove an ICL.
Why Patients Seek ICL
Patients seek the ICL because they expect the highest quality of results from their refractive vision correction procedure. The advantages of this phakic ICL(highlighted below) make the ICL a sought after treatment for nearsightedness & farsightedness.
- High quality of vision: The ICL not only corrects your refractive power or number, but it also enhances your quality of vision by producing sharp vision.
- Wide treatment range: In comparison to other refractive procedures, the ICL offers the widest treatment range for correction of vision.
- Foldable: because the ICL is foldable, a small incision is required during the procedure. This feature makes the procedure efficient (no sutures
needed) and improves healing time.
- Invisible: the placement of the ICL into the posterior chamber of the eye makes the lens invisible to both the patient and any observer.
- Collamer composition: Collamer is made from collagen, which is a substance that naturally occurs in the body. This makes the lens highly
biocompatible with the eye.
- Proven track: record Implanted in over 65,000 eyes worldwide, the safety and amazing improvement in vision quality of the ICL has been proven over the last 15 years.
Because the ICL is also ideal for patients with contraindications for laser refractive surgery, some people may consider the ICL as an alternative to LASIK; however, as you can see, it is so much more than that. It is often compared to the corneal refractive procedure because the ICL takes refractive surgery beyond the limits of LASIK. Patients, who may not discover the ICL until they begin to search for an alternative treatment to avoid LASIK or PRK, realize that the ICL is not just an alternative; it is the good choice for superior vision quality.